Tim Challies compiled a long list. I shortened it, wrote a line or two on the ones I kept on the list, and emailed it to my church members. I thought I’d post it here too for those who it may serve.
- Alone with God by John MacArthur – a book on prayer
- Theology of the Reformers by Timothy George – a really good book on the Reformation. Every church leader should have a working knowledge of the Reformation and this volume is the best intermediate book on the topic.
- CrossTalk by Michael Emlet – A book on relating the cross and gospel to people’s actual lives today. A good book teaching you how to gospelize.
- Relationships: A Mess Worth Making by Tim Lane & Paul Tripp
- Running Scared by Ed Welch – A book on facing fear and anxiety. I found it really helpful.
- Shame Interrupted by Ed Welch
- An Infinite Journey by Dr. Andrew Davis – One of the best modern books on the process of transformation for Christian growth.
- A Beginners Guide to Family Worship by Winfield Bevins
- What Is the Gospel? by Greg Gilbert – Every Christian should read this book and be able to answer this question.
- Who Is Jesus? by Greg Gilbert – A good book to give to non-Christian friends. We give these out to church visitors.
- Why Trust the Bible? by Greg Gilbert – I’ve heard many good things about this book and bought one today.
- To Live Is Christ by Matt Chandler
- Depression by Ed Welch – More Christians deal with this than you think. We should equip ourselves to help others through this stubborn darkness.
- A Quest for More by Paul Tripp
- Old Story New by Marty Machowski
- When Sinners Say “I Do” by Dave Harvey – a good book on marriage.
- The Mingling of Souls by Matt Chandler – A book on marriage by an author I trust.
- The Great Exchange by Jerry Bridges & Bob Bevington – Jerry is one of the best in writing about the cross and gospel.
- Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper – A book on living for God’s glory in all of your life.
- Sermon on the Mount by Charles Quarles
- Accidental Pharisees by Larry Osborne
- Worship: The Ultimate Priority by John MacArthur ($3.12) – This book transformed my thinking on this topic in college.
- Fifty Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die by John Piper – Fifty one page meditations on the cross.
- Seeing And Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper – Who else should you be looking at?
- When I Don’t Desire God by John Piper – The most practical book on growing in your love for God.
- The Glory of Heaven by John MacArthur – we don’t long for heaven because we don’t think about heaven or see the glory of heaven. We’re too attached to this world.
- What is a Healthy Church? by Mark Dever – If you don’t know what a healthy church is it’s hard to be a faithful member who moves your church to health.
- Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung
- The Hole in Our Holiness by Kevin DeYoung
- Taking God At His Word by Kevin DeYoung – one of the best books today on understanding how precious and trustworthy Scripture is.
- Praying the Bible by Donald Whitney – because we don’t want to pray to God as a genie
- Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full by Gloria Furman – for busy moms
- Worship Matters by Bob Kauflin – If you want to think about singing and
- Side By Side by Ed Welch – An interesting book on how to edify and walk side by side with other believers to meet their needs as they meet yours. I bought one today.
- Disciplines of a Godly Man by Kent Hughes – Every man should read a book like this.
- Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes – Every woman should read a book like this.
- The Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler – We must not assume the gospel but make it explicit.
- Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey – The best book on deconstructing the lies of the world with biblical truth. If you don’t know how to respond to how the world thinks and what it says, or if you doubt why Christianity is true not just for you but for everyone, this book will help you see.
- What Did You Expect? by Paul Tripp – A great book on marriage. I love the title.